Friday, July 18, 2008

"Never trust a big butt and a smile"

Party scene: Some place near a beach/pool with a large dance floor during the summer because let’s face it, people are in better moods in the summertime.

Party drinks: Kegs of Bell’s Oberon and shots of Absolut Pear Vodka

Cut to the portion of the party where everyone is nice and drunk and ready to make fools of themselves. With my group of friends and me, this point would happen about 30-minutes into the start of the party. When people are drunk, their taste in music drops and loving Hall and Oates is a thing you can share openly.

Music: We’ll start with the good stuff, the point where people haven’t started dancing yet:

Jamie Lidell – Hurricane
Yoav – Club Thing
The Ting Tings – That’s Not My Name
Black Kids – I’m Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You (video below)
LCD Soundsystem – Daft Punk Is Playing At My House
Daft Punk – Touch It/Technologic





OK, and now here’s the really good stuff. Dancing, singing and drunkeness is happening all around at this point. WARNING – Busting out some of the following music while sober may result in deep deep shame:

Michael Jackson – P.Y.T. or The Way You Make Me Feel
George Michael – Too Funky
Wang Chung – Dance Hall Days
Skid Row – I Remember You
Bell Biv Devoe – Poison (video below)
Positive K – I Got A Man
Journey – Don’t Stop Believing (People are starting to pass out and puke at this point)
Prince





I can’t pick just one Prince song. That would be like asking a fat person to pick just one candy bar. It’s cruel and unusual punishment. Wait, I think I just started a play list for my wedding reception. Although by the time I’m married all these songs will be long forgotten and I will be on my 12th hip replacement.

3 comments:

TK said...

Wow. Your parties start out awesome.

And then shit gets weird.

But I cannot criticize any list that involves Prince. May I suggest either Darling Nikki, Trust, Kiss, or the classic Let's Go Crazy?

Jez said...

Eh, my friend Kelly was at a CD store with me circa 1994 and I was thumbing through the Prince CDs. She read my mind when she said, "Prince - where does one begin?"

It's a topic worth writing in itself. I've got a cool story about him if anyone does decide to tackle the project. Maybe it can be a co-post or something.

My suggestion: "Money Doesn't Matter Tonight"

Felicia said...

TK-Darling Nikki is a great song but it's hard to dance to without looking like a stripper.

Jez-Or maybe we could do a series of Prince posts. It's always changing but my favorite Prince song right now is I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man.