Thursday, October 2, 2008

Felicia's fall concert series: Flash in the pan??


When I caught wind of MGMT's album Oracular Spectacular earlier this year, I couldn't get enough of it. I liked it so much that I held hands and skipped with it, it rested on the pillow beside me as I slept and I took it out to dinner. They were one of the bands at Lollapalooza this year that I couldn't bear to miss. But after the bad audio, the bad crowd and my hankering for getting lit I walked away from their Lolla performance with a bad taste in my mouth.

Fortunately they came to my city supporting Beck on his tour last night, and I went to get some form of redemption from Lolla. The only problem with that was I am not a fan of Beck. Mr. Scientology is OK, but I just never grew attached to him like I did with MGMT. I didn't even realize that there were actual Beck fans who creamed their panties for him. There are, and Beck kept me entertained through most of his set. As for MGMT, they just didn't perform the way I expected them to. It was as if I was listening to their CD, just really loudly. They never deviated from the recordings on the album, and their set never really took off. This may be because the band is still quite young, but it makes me wonder if they really have the stuff of longevity. Hopefully they can take a note from their elder Beck, and fine tune their live show. While we wait for them to get around to that, smoke a few blunts and check these trippy videos from MGMT out.

Electric Feel



Time to Pretend


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like MGMT too, but they exemplify why I distinguish between recording artists and live musicians. Wolfmother is the same way.

Felicia said...

Boo-I totally agree. Although I hold bands that can take hold of me both on recordings and live to a much higher regard.

Andrew L. Smith said...

The Justice remix of Electric Feel is worth a listen.